The Weekly LBI Events Are Courtesy Of The LBI Business Alliance.
Happy Memorial Day weekend! Kick off the summer with these events!!
Monday May 23rd:
1. Monday Night Movie: “Burlesque,” 6:30pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. Call 609-494-2480 for more information.
Tuesday May 24th:
1. Teen Advisory Board Meets: 6pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. Call 609-494-2480 for more information.
2. Boxes & Bubbles: 10:30am at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. For babies and toddlers with their caregivers. Call 609-494-2480 to register or for more information.
Wednesday May 25th:
1. Gaming Club Meets: 7pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. For kids ages 10 and up. Call 609-494-2480 for more information.
2. Book Discussion: 2:30pm at the Beach Haven Library on 3rd Street. The book is Indian Summer by Alex von Tunzelmann. Call 609-492-7081 for more information.
Thursday May 26th:
1. Storytime: 3:30pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. For children ages 4-8. Call 609-494-2480 for more information.
2. Bead Happy Hour: 5-8pm at Just Bead It in North Beach Haven. Come and learn new beading techniques and make cool spring jewelry! Call 609-492-2323 for more information.
Saturday May 28th:
1. Blessing of the Lifeguards: 4:45-4:50pm at the St. Francis Aquatic Center in Brant Beach. All lifeguards, family, friends, and community are welcome.
2. Chicken Dinner: 2-8pm at the High Point Firehouse in Harvey Cedars. Adults $12, kids $6. Takeout is available.
3. Crazy Crafts: 3pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. All kids welcome, call 609-494-2480 for more information.
4. Fire Company Auction: 5:30 viewing, 6:30 auction. A night of cocktails, appetizers and bidding at 10th and Central in Barnegat Light. Admission is $5.
5. Flower, plant and shrub sale(May 28-29): High Point Firehouse in Harvey Cedars. Benefits go towards the High Point Volunteer Fire Company. Call 609-494-4808 for more information.
6. “RENT”(through June 19): Starring JUSTIN GUARINI from American Idol, performed at Surflight Theater in Beach Haven. Visit www.surflight.org for more information.
7. Memorial Day Service: 11am at Veteran’s Memorial Park in Surf City between 11th and 12th Streets.
8. Poetry Reading, Watercolor Demonstration & Book Signing: 4pm at Things A-Drift in Ship Bottom. Poet Richard Morgand and artist Pat Morgan present their new book, I Am Sea Glass: A Collection of Poetic Pieces. Call 609-361-1668 for more information.
Sunday May 29th:
1. Viking Village Arts & Crafts Show: 10am-4:30pm, 19th and Bayview. More than 80 vendors offer art, decoys, jewelry, photography, and more. Call 609-361-7008 for more information.
2. Pancake Breakfast: 8am-12 noon at the Surf City Firehouse. All you can eat menu, along with baked goods, dog treats, and more will be available. Adults $8.50, kids $4.50. Call 609-494-6127 for more information.
3. Memorial Day Parade: 7pm on 20th & Central down Broadway.
4. Lighthouse International Film Festival Volunteer Meeting: 2pm at Century 21 Mary Allen Realty in Ship Bottom. New members are welcome.
Not sure what businesses are open on LBI? Visit http://www.njlbi.com/ for a listing of over 100 Long Beach Island Businesses along with their hours of business and contact information!
Worship on Long Beach Island
– Grace Calvary Church in Ship Bottom – 609-494-7777
– Holy Innocents’ Episcopal Church in Beach Haven – 609-492-7571 or 609-492-2108
– Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Brant Beach – 609-494-6888
– Island Baptist Church in Beach Haven – 609-492-7584
– Jewish Community Center of Long Beach Island – 609-492-4090
Please Note: JCC Shabbat Services are Friday Evening at 7:30 pm in St.Thomas of Villanova Church in Surf City while the New Synagogue is being built
– Kynett United Methodist Church of Beach Haven – 609-492-0421
– St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church in Brant Beach – 609-494-8813
– St. Peter’s at the Light Episcopal Church in Barnegat Light – 609-494-2398
– Terrace United Methodist Church in Beach Haven Terrace – 609-492-9843
– Zion Lutheran Church in Barnegat Light – 609-494-8676
Weekly Entertainment and Performances Found At:
– Bayberry Inn: (609-494-8848)
– Buckalew’s Tavern & Restaurant: (609-492-1065)
– Daddy O: (609-494-1300)
– The Gateway: (609-494-1661)
– Nardi’s Tavern: (609-492-9538)
Barnegat Lighthouse is Open: The # 2 tourism destination in the State Of New Jersey is open on weekends and has reported a “full parking lot” and a great number of visitors in the past few weekends.
Prom Dress and Accessory Collection: Donate clean prom dresses and accessories in good wearable condition to Red Sails Salon in Surf City or Regenerate in Beach Haven. Shoes, handbags, and cocktail/special occasion dresses are all gratefully accepted for Southern Regional High School.
Tuesdays through May 31: Adult Writers Group Meets: 1-3pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. Call 609-494-2480 for more information.
Thursdays May 5 – August 25: Stitch & Bitch LBI: 1-8pm at the Museum of NJ Maritime History on Dock Road in Beach Haven. Anyone interested in knitting or crocheting may bring supplies and join in, help is available for all wishing to learn. Email email@example.com.
Saturdays March 5-May 28: Youth Arts Program for grades K-5: at the LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences in Loveladies. Class fees vary, call 609-494-1241 for more information.
Through June 20: “Pinelands Revisited” Exhibit at the LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences in Loveladies. Artwork is by members of the Princeton Artists Alliance. Call 609-494-1241 for more information.
Mah Jong: Every Wednesday afternoon May 11-25 at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City from 12:30-4pm. Some experience is necessary. Contact the JCC office at 609-494-2480 for more information.
Food Donations Needed: The St. Francis Food Pantry in Brant Beach is acception donations of non-perishable foods as well as detergents, soaps, and shampoo.
Womens’ Council of Realtors: Meets the 2nd Tuesday of every month at the Bayberry Inn, 13th Street & Long Beach Blvd., Ship Bottom. Call Theresa Hill at 609-597-6464 for more information.
Pottery Class: With ceramics artist Matt Burton every Tuesday from 6-9 pm or Thursdays from 1-4 pm at the M.T. Burton Gallery, 19th Street & Long Beach Blvd. in Surf City. For more information call 609-494-0006.
Seedling Sale: Variety of seedlings offered by the Garden Club of LBI. Visit http://www.thegardencluboflbi.com/ for more information.
Fiction Writers Group: Forming in Beach Haven: Meets 2 Thursdays per month from 5:30pm-7:30pm. Call Debi for more information 856-912-1369.
Knitting Group Meeting: 10am Wednesdays at How You Brewin on 8th Street in Surf City. Call 609-494-2003 or visit http://www.howyoubrewin.com/ for more information.
June 3-5: 3rd Annual Lighthouse International Film Festival. Venues include the LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences, the LBI Grade School, LBI Historical Museum, and the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. For more information visit www.lighthousefilmfestival.org.
June 4: Support, Inc. celebrates National Cancer Survivor Day, 6:30pm at the Barnegat Light Fire Hall on 10th and Central.
June 4: 13th Annual LBI Unithon. 10am in Holgate, rain or shine. Call Raphael Lasar, 732-566-9529 for more information.
June 5: 1st Annual Kids 2K Fun Run to benefit Southern Ocean Medical Center’s New Emergency Department. 8:30am at Bayview Park, 68th Street and Long Beach Blvd. in Brant Beach. Cost is $30 per participant and includes water during the race and light refreshments to follow. Prizes for all participants and all paid entries receive a t-shirt. A bounce house provided by Party Crashers will be open to participants and their families and will be free to all registrants.
June 5: Capital Singers of Trenton and friends in concert. An afternoon of sacred, secular, and patriotic choral music with Richard M. Loatman, Founder and Artistic Director, and Ellen J. Dondero, Assistant Director. 4pm at Holy Innocents’ Church on Marine Street in Beach Haven. For more information please call 609-492-7571.
June 11: LBIFest at the Long Beach Township Municipal Complex and Bayview Park. Email us at for more information, and visit http://www.lbifest.com/ to see what last year’s event was all about. Join the 6,500 people who enjoyed last year’s festivities.
June 11: Workshop for Gardeners: Tropical & Their Uses in Containers and Gardens. 10am at the Bay Ave. Plant Co., 1808 Long Beach Blvd. in Surf City. Daryl Kobesky of Pleasant Run Nursery in Allentown presents the program. Admission is free.
June 18: Beach Haven Community Arts Program Flea Market: 9am-4pm rain or shine in Veterans Bicentennial Park. Call Beverly at 609-492-2253.
June 19: Conserving Rare Species and Habitat in the New Jersey Pine Barrens: 11am at the LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences in Loveladies. Emile DiVito, PhD, of the New Jersey Conservation Foundation will be presenting.
June 25: Jazzy Scallop Seafood Fest: 3-6pm at Viking Village, 19th & Bayview.
Health and Living Well on LBI:
– St. Francis Senior Services: Outreach workers are available to assist with a variety of senior needs. Call 609-294-1197 for more information.
– Senior Exercise Class & Line Dancing: At the St. Francis center in Brant Beach. Ladies exercise: Monday-Wednesday & Friday 9-10am, Lien Dancing: Thursday 9-10am.
– AtlantiCare Medical Center’s RNS Mobile Digital Mammography: Friday May 13 9:30am-4pm at the LBI Health Dept. in Haven Beach. All major credit cards and most insurance plans are accepted. Call for appointment 800-246-2404.
– American Red Cross Bloodmobile: May 13th 2-7pm at the Ethel Jacobsen School in Surf City. Photo ID is required, call 800-GIVELIFE.
– Free Rabies Clinic: Saturday May 7th at the Beach Haven Firehouse 9-9:30am, Ship Bottom Firehouse 9:45-10:15am, and Barnegat Light Firehouse 10:30-11am. Pets must be leashed or in a carrier.
– Child & Adolescent Health Programs: Physical exams and immunizations are available for infants and children through age 18 at the LBI Health Department. Call 609-492-1212 for more information.
– Well Baby Clinic: at the LBI Health Department in Haven Beach. Call 609-361-1000 ex 250 or 609-492-1212 for appointment and information.
– Walking/Running Program: Monday-Friday 8-9am in the St. Francis Center gymnasium, Brant Beach. Call 609-494-8861 for more information.
– Flu Shots Offered: by appointment a the LBI Health Department, 11601 Long Beach Blvd. in Haven Beach. Call 609-492-1212 for more information and pricing