How To Buy Your LBI Home
1. Explore Long Beach Island
Plan to spend time on Long Beach Island to determine what part of LBI you love the most. If you are not familiar with LBI, Long Beach Island is 18 miles long but has unique residential features and you may prefer one section over another. The north end and south ends tend to be quiet.
Barnegat Light –home of Barnegat Lighthouse is on the north end of LBI. The north end of Long Beach Island tends to be quiet and less crowded-more private.
The central part of LBI has a higher Walk Score. It is very easy to get out and walk to stores, mini-golf, parks, restaurants, and numerous other businesses.
Holgate is on the south end of LBI and it is also a quiet part of the island. The Edwin B. Forsythe Wild Life Preserve is located at the end of Holgate. Enjoy seasonal bird-watching, hiking, fishing and beachcombing.
2. Get Pre-Qualified
Loan pre-qualifying helps you determine the home price you can afford and presents you as a genuine prospect to the seller. Planning your actions and getting pre-qualified will allow you to take advantage of opportunities. A thorough plan will save both time and money!
3. Long Beach Island Value
Value is in the land -With the decline in Real Estate sales comes an adjustment in land values. The real appreciation and depreciation lies in the value of the land. The cost of construction, materials, and labor are consistently on the rise, yet home values go up or down based on the parcel of land they are constructed on.
Most Buyers are excited that they are able to afford a vacation home on LBI! With attractive mortgage interest rates and reduced asking prices, along with a variety of properties to choose from, it’s a great time to buy LBI!
4. Know What You Want
Go to my LBI Real Estate Search page to
Search all properties for sale on LBI. Know your price range, footage of waterfront desired, wheter you want Oceanfront, Bayfront, Lagoonfront, oceanblock, Oceanside, Bayblock, Bayside, number of bedrooms, number of bathrooms, age of property, and size of property are all selection criteria one can easily select.
5. Fixed vs. Adjustable Rate Mortgages
Adjustable rate mortgages have an initial fixed rate, which is followed by a period of adjustment intervals during which the rate adjusts based on the performance of several key indexes. Typically the initial fixed rate on an ARM is slightly lower than the comparable rate of a fixed rate mortgage.
Fixed rate mortgages allow buyers to take out a long term loan without having to worry about changing interest rates or monthly payments. Most fixed rate loans are offered in either 15 or 30 year terms.
Most buyers will be well served by a fixed rate loan, but each situation is unique. While ARM loans have become less popular in recent years, they can still be a viable option for some buyers – especially those who plan on selling again in the short term.
With all the major changes in the mortgage business these past two years, interest rates are driven many factors such as credit scores, down payment, purchase vs. refinance, property type, loan program and lock-in period which all affect the interest rate.
Go to my Mortgage Rates page to connect with a Long Beach Island Mortgage Specialist.
6. Sign A Contract That Protects You
Make sure that the contract you put on a LBI property allows you to arrange financing, inspect the home and negotiate any problems that you uncover.
7. Get A Quality Home Inspection
Paying for a qualified home & termite inspection before you buy a home is absolutely essential for anyone who doesn’t want to spend thousands of dollars for repairs.
8. A Vacation Home
As a professional Real Estate Broker, I feel a sense of accomplishment when helping a family find their perfect vacation home or investment rental property. It is a dream come true for many Buyers when purchasing a second home. A vacation home is a place to escape the stress of work and instead be able to relax with family and friends. Many Buyers enjoy not only summers on LBI but also weekends throughout the year. There is no better place to enjoy life than at a beach home on Long Beach Island.
If you are buying a Long Beach Island home in winter…
- Buy your LBI property today-you’ll have the house to enjoy for the summer or secure summer rental income for your investment property.
- There may be less competition from other buyers before things pick up in the spring.
- Lower prices may be negotiated if you find a motivated seller and because there are fewer buyers on the market today.
- Refer to my Long Beach Island Waterfront Supply vs. Demand article in the LBI Newsletters for more information on the number of LBI Waterfront Buyers and Sellers.
- Also, sign up for the LBI Oceanfront & Bayfront Newsletters for LBI Oceanfront and Bayfront Statistics .
- The deal may go quicker (loans, inspections, etc.) in a slower winter market and you’ll get in before summer to enjoy your new beach home or get those rentals secured if it is an investment property.
- Dress warmly –summer homes on LBI are shut down without heat and water and you want to be able to spend time looking at your future investment.
- Try not to track mud and snow into the house.
- Come back when the snow melts to check parts of the property that are hidden by a snowfall especially the roof or foundation.
For properties currently available for sale and for those under contract, please feel free to call me. I would be happy to e-mail, mail, or fax current Multiple Listing Computer detailed reports
If a property is no longer being used, now is the time to sell to a buyer that enjoys LBI and the dreams LBI creates! Most buyers are excited that they can now afford a vacation home on LBI! With attractive mortgage interest rates and lower prices, along with a variety of properties to choose from, it’s a great time to buy or sell on LBI!
From original post: LBIsales