The Weekly LBI Events Are Courtesy Of The LBI Business Alliance.
Celebrate summer being right around the corner with these events!!
Monday May 16th:
1. “As Time Goes By” 7pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. Elaine Bromka and Reathel Bean weave together readings of 2-person scenes from notable plays. Call 609-494-2480 for more information.
Wednesday May 18th:
1. Book Discussion: 2pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. Book is Zeitoun by Dave Eggers. Call 609-494-2480 for more information.
2. Reading Isn’t Ruff: 6pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. Call 609-494-2480 for more information.
3. Lighthouse International Film Festival Volunteer Meeting: 7pm at Century 21 Mary Allen Realty in Ship Bottom.
Thursday May 19th:
1. Classic Movie: “Wait Until Dark.” 2pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. Call 609-494-2480 for more information.
2. PTA Spring Fling Fundraiser/Auction Dinner: 6pm at Brant Beach Yacht Club. Proceeds go towards the LBI School PTA.
3. Bead Happy Hour: 5-8pm at Just Bead It in North Beach Haven. Come and learn new beading techniques and make cool spring jewelry! Call 609-492-2323 for more information.
Friday May 20th:
1. “Pinelands Revisited” Exhibit (last day of exhibit) at the LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences in Loveladies. Artwork is presented by members of the Princeton Artists Alliance.
Saturday May 21st:
1. Beach Opening Celebration: 10am-12 noon: kite flying contest, 10:30am surf fishing demo and Q&A, 11am ribbon cutting. All at 17th Street beach in Ship Bottom. Call 609-494-7211 for more information.
2. LBI Walk: the LBI Health Department hosts a walk along the bay for all ages and pets. Call 609-492-1212 for more information. Deadline for registration is May 18th.
3. A Cherry Blossom Tea, a benefit for the Japan Earthquake Response Fund, from 11am-1pm sponsored by St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, 7th and Central Avenue, Barnegat Light. Tickets are $25, call 609-494-5048 for more information.
4. Sidewalk Sale: 8am-2pm at the corner of 26th Street & Long Beach Blvd. in Ship Bottom. The American Association of University Women sponsors the sale.
5. Vacation Club Registration & Orientation: 8am at the St. Francis Center in Brant Beach. A summer camp for children ages 5-13 that offers a number of different activities. Space is limited.
6. Yard Sale: 8am at 2 Sandy Cove Lane in Loveladies. Daughters of the American Revolution hosts the sale.
Sunday May 22nd:
1. Beef ‘n Beer: 5-9pm at the Spray Beach Inn, 200 East 24th Street in Spray Beach. The Stafford Twp. LBI and Long Beach Twp. PBAs host the event to benefit Southern Regional High School’s Class fo 2011 Project Graduation. Admission is $25 and includes buffet, beer, wine, soda, coffee, tea and entertainment by a Partycrashers DJ.
Not sure what businesses are open on LBI? Visit http://www.njlbi.com/ for a listing of over 100 Long Beach Island Businesses along with their hours of business and contact information!
Worship on Long Beach Island
– Grace Calvary Church in Ship Bottom – 609-494-7777
– Holy Innocents’ Episcopal Church in Beach Haven – 609-492-7571 or 609-492-2108
– Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Brant Beach – 609-494-6888
– Island Baptist Church in Beach Haven – 609-492-7584
– Jewish Community Center of Long Beach Island – 609-492-4090
Please Note: JCC Shabbat Services are Friday Evening at 7:30 pm in St.Thomas of Villanova Church in Surf City while the New Synagogue is being built
– Kynett United Methodist Church of Beach Haven – 609-492-0421
– St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church in Brant Beach – 609-494-8813
– St. Peter’s at the Light Episcopal Church in Barnegat Light – 609-494-2398
– Terrace United Methodist Church in Beach Haven Terrace – 609-492-9843
– Zion Lutheran Church in Barnegat Light – 609-494-8676
Weekly Entertainment and Performances Found At:
– Bayberry Inn: (609-494-8848)
– Buckalew’s Tavern & Restaurant: (609-492-1065)
– Daddy O: (609-494-1300)
– The Gateway: (609-494-1661)
– Nardi’s Tavern: (609-492-9538)
Barnegat Lighthouse is Open: The # 2 tourism destination in the State Of New Jersey is open on weekends and has reported a “full parking lot” and a great number of visitors in the past few weekends.
Prom Dress and Accessory Collection: Donate clean prom dresses and accessories in good wearable condition to Red Sails Salon in Surf City or Regenerate in Beach Haven. Shoes, handbags, and cocktail/special occasion dresses are all gratefully accepted for Southern Regional High School.
Tuesdays through May 31: Adult Writers Group Meets: 1-3pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. Call 609-494-2480 for more information.
Thursdays May 5-25: Stitch & Bitch LBI: 1-8pm at the Museum of NJ Maritime History on Dock Road in Beach Haven. Anyone interested in knitting or crocheting may bring supplies and join in, help is available for all wishing to learn. Email email@example.com.
Saturdays March 5-May 28: Youth Arts Program for grades K-5: at the LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences in Loveladies. Class fees vary, call 609-494-1241 for more information.
Mah Jong: Every Wednesday afternoon May 11-25 at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City from 12:30-4pm. Some experience is necessary. Contact the JCC office at 609-494-2480 for more information.
Food Donations Needed: The St. Francis Food Pantry in Brant Beach is acception donations of non-perishable foods as well as detergents, soaps, and shampoo.
Womens’ Council of Realtors: Meets the 2nd Tuesday of every month at the Bayberry Inn, 13th Street & Long Beach Blvd., Ship Bottom. Call Theresa Hill at 609-597-6464 for more information.
Pottery Class: With ceramics artist Matt Burton every Tuesday from 6-9 pm or Thursdays from 1-4 pm at the M.T. Burton Gallery, 19th Street & Long Beach Blvd. in Surf City. For more information call 609-494-0006.
Seedling Sale: Variety of seedlings offered by the Garden Club of LBI. Visit http://www.thegardencluboflbi.com/ for more information.
Fiction Writers Group: Forming in Beach Haven: Meets 2 Thursdays per month from 5:30pm-7:30pm. Call Debi for more information 856-912-1369.
Knitting Group Meeting: 10am Wednesdays at How You Brewin on 8th Street in Surf City. Call 609-494-2003 or visit http://www.howyoubrewin.com/ for more information.
May 23: Monday Night Movie: “Burlesque,” 6:30pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. Call 609-494-2480 for more information.
May 24: Teen Advisory Board Meets: 6pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. Call 609-494-2480 for more information.
May 25: Gaming Club Meets: 7pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. For kids ages 10 and up. Call 609-494-2480 for more information.
May 26: Storytime: 3:30pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. For children ages 4-8. Call 609-494-2480 for more information.
May 28: Blessing of the Lifeguards: 4:45-4:50pm at the St. Francis Aquatic Center in Brant Beach. All lifeguards, family, friends, and community are welcome.
May 28: Chicken Dinner: 2-8pm at the High Point Firehouse in Harvey Cedars. Adults $12, kids $6. Takeout is available.
May 28: Crazy Crafts: 3pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. All kids welcome, call 609-494-2480 for more information.
May 28: Fire Company Auction. 5:30 viewing, 6:30 auction. A night of cocktails, appetizers and bidding at 10th and Central in Barnegat Light.
May 28-29: Flower, plant and shrub sale. High Point Firehouse in Harvey Cedars. Benefits go towards the High Point Volunteer Fire Company. Call 609-494-4808 for more information.
May 28-June 19: “RENT” Starring JUSTIN GUARINI from American Idol, performed at Surflight Theater in Beach Haven. Visit www.surflight.org for more information.
May 29: Viking Village Arts & Crafts Show: 10am-4:30pm, 19th and Bayview.
May 29: Pancake Breakfast: 8am-12 noon at the Surf City Firehouse. All you can eat menu, along with baked goods, dog treats, and more will be available. Adults $8.50, kids $4.50. Call 609-494-6127 for more information.
May 29: Memorial Day Parade: 7pm on 20th & Central down Broadway.
May 29: Lighthouse International Film Festival Volunteer Meeting: 2pm at Century 21 Mary Allen Realty in Ship Bottom.
June 3-5: 3rd Annual Lighthouse International Film Festival. Venues include the LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences, the LBI Grade School, LBI Historical Museum, and the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. For more information visit www.lighthousefilmfestival.org.
June 4: Support, Inc. celebrates National Cancer Survivor Day, 6:30pm at the Barnegat Light Fire Hall on 10th and Central.
June 4: 13th Annual LBI Unithon. 10am in Holgate, rain or shine. Call Raphael Lasar, 732-566-9529 for more information.
June 11th: LBIFest at the Long Beach Township Municipal Complex and Bayview Park. Email us at for more information, and visit http://www.lbifest.com/ to see what last year’s event was all about. Join the 6,500 people who enjoyed last year’s festivities.
June 18: Beach Haven Community Arts Program Flea Market: 9am-4pm rain or shine in Veterans Bicentennial Park. Call Beverly at 609-492-2253.
June 25: Jazzy Scallop Seafood Fest: 3-6pm at Viking Village, 19th & Bayview.
Health and Living Well on LBI:
– St. Francis Senior Services: Outreach workers are available to assist with a variety of senior needs. Call 609-294-1197 for more information.
– Senior Exercise Class & Line Dancing: At the St. Francis center in Brant Beach. Ladies exercise: Monday-Wednesday & Friday 9-10am, Lien Dancing: Thursday 9-10am.