- Bain Games 1:00pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City. Games designed to stimulate different areas of the brain. Call to register 609-494-2480 or visit http://www.
- Teen Advisory Board: 6pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). A fun was to participate in the library while earning community service hours. Plan programs and events while making new friends. New members welcome ? Kids in grades 7-12 are invited to come make suggestions for programs, events and more!
- Gaming Club: 7pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). Come in and get your game on with board games, cards and Wii games. Ages 10+. Drop in.
- County Connection Mobile Services 10am to 4pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). Services provided include: county IDšs, passports, senior services, veterans services, consumer affairs, voter registration and parks and tourism information.
- Local History, Local Art with Cathleen Engelsen 7 pm at NJ Maritime Museum, 528 Dock Road, Beach Haven (609-492-0202 or www.NJMaritimeMuseum.org) Join artist Cathleen Engelsen for a program on local history and how it has inspired her art! She’ll have a display of her artwork, and photos of her grandfather’s that inspired her work! Learn about the Tucker’s Island Lighthouse, and see Engelsen’s historic Skeeter’s log and her contemporary paintings of Skeeter’s (the reproduction of which is now ScoJo’s restaurant). Reservations Required (609-492-0202) – Light Refreshments Provided – Donation in Lieu of Admission Free Requested
Saturday, May 26
- Fire Company Auction 5:30pm Viewing, 6:30pm Auction. Barnegat Light Fire Company, 10th & Central, Barnegat Light. Join us for a night of cocktails, appetizers and bidding.
- Saturday Art for the Ages 6-10: Crayon Suncatcher 10am to 11:30am at the LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences, 120 Long Beach Blvd., Loveladies, NJ. 609-494-1241 or www.lbifoundation.org. Fees: Member, $20; Nonmember, $30
- Memorial Day Services 11am at Veterans Park, Long Beach Blvd., between 11th & 12th Streets, Surf City. Veterans, Boy and Girl Scouts, firefighters, EMTs and Ocean County Freeholder, Gerry Little participate. Broadway Pizza provides refreshments after the ceremony.
- Blessing of Bicycles 1:00pm at 18th & Central in Barnegat Light. Co-sponsored by St. Peter’s Episcopal Church and Zion Lutheran Church. All are welcome!
- Blessing of the Lifeguards, 4:45pm to 5:00pm at St. Francis Aquatic Center, 47th Street & Long Beach Blvd., Brant Beach. All lifeguards from the community, as well as friends, family and visitors are welcome for the ecumenical blessing, followed by the regularly scheduled lifeguard tests and trials.
- ĒAll I Ask Of Youē – A Tribute to Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber at Surflight Theatre, 201 Engleside Avenue, Beach Haven. This grand showcase of Sir Andrew Lloyd Webberšs music features his biggest and most memorable hits from such musicals as The Phantom of the Opera, Whistle Down the Wind, Starlight Express, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Cats, Jesus Christ Superstar, Sunset Boulevard, Evita, and more! Backed by an onstage orchestra, a cast of Broadway veterans recreates all the thrills from your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber spectaculars. Show dates/times: 2:00 pm: May 27, 29, 30, 31, June 3, 5, 6, 7, 10, 12, 13, 14, and 15; 8:00 pm: May 26, 29, 31, June 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 9, 12, 14, 15, and 16. Tickets ($36-$89) are available online at www.surflight.org. Tickets may also be purchased in person at the Surflight box office, by phone at 609-492-9477, ext. 1. For groups (15 or more) call: 609-492-9477 x210. Surflight Theatrešs 2012 season continues with two family favorites Annie (June 19 ? July 21) and Rodgers and Hammersteinšs The Sound of Music (July 24 ? August 25), an all-new and entirely original musical comedy Once Upon A Time in New Jersey (itšs ĒThe Sopranosē meets ĒHappy Daysē) (August 28 ? September 16), Steel Magnolias (September 19 ? October 7), the long-running hit revue I Love You, Youšre Perfect, Now Change (touted as ĒSeinfeld set to music”) (October 10 ? 21), Neil Simonšs Barefoot in the Park (October 24 ? November 4), and Irving Berlinšs White Christmas (November 23 ? December 21).
- Pancake Breakfast, 8am to noon at Surf City Firehouse, 713 Long Beach Blvd., Surf City (609-494-6127). Menu includes all-you-can-eat pancakes, sausage, coffee, tea, orange juice, cocoa and milk. Baked goods, crafts, books, dog treats and pet toys are available for purchase.
- Viking Village Arts and Crafts Show 10am to 4:30pm 19th & Bayview, Barnegat Light. Local artists and fun crafts. Rain or Shine. Additional info at www.vikingvillage.net
- Memorial Day Parade 7pm at 20th & Central down Broadway, Barnegat Light. Ceremony at the Lighthouse – throw a flower in the inlet to remember those who defended our country.
- In Stiches Reception 5:00pm to 7:00pm at LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences, 120 Long Beach Blvd., Loveladies (609-494-1241 or www.lbifoundation.org). Exhibit runs May 10 through June 18.
- Storytime and Craft: 3:45pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). Activity for all ages. Call to register or visit www.theoceancountylibrary.org.
Wednesday, May 30
- Open Mic Night 6:30pm the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). Poets, authors, bloggers, and writers are invited to share short readings. An audience is welcome. Call to register or visit www.theoceancountylibrary.org.
Thursday, May 31
- Totally Toddler 10:30 am at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf ity (609-494-2480). Activity for ages 18 to 36 months with caregiver. Call to register or visit www.theoceancountylibrary.org.
Friday, June 1 ? Sunday, June 3
- The Lighthouse International Film Festival is screening a full schedule of films beginning at 6 pm on Friday, June 1 and running through 6 pm on Sunday, June 3, at four different venues on Long Beach Island in addition to the Surf City Library. Please go to www.lighthousefilmfestival.org to see the full schedule and buy tickets or stop in to the Chamber office on 9th Street in Ship Bottom or to Things A Drift at 4th and the Boulevard in Surf City for more information.
- Gardener’s Weekend Retreat; “How Does Your Garden Grow?” Maris Stella Retreat Center, Harvey Cedars, LBI, NJ. Gardening lovers are invited to spend the weekend together reflecting on the toils, tools and treasures of co-creating and nurturing your inner/outer gardens, presented by Nancy Erts, OP. Please bring garden gloves and basic hand tools. Cost: $150.00 Non-refundable, non-transferable deposit: $50. Registration due: May 20, 2012. For more information call: 609-494-2917 or 609-494-1182.
Saturday, June 2
- HUGO & HAPPY FEET 2 SCREEN FOR FREE AS PART OF FILM FESTIVAL As part of the Lighthouse Film Festivalšs ongoing efforts to provide family entertainment during the Film Festival weekend, there will be screenings of two family films, which are free for children and their parents or whoever brings them to the venue for the screening.
- HAPPY FEET 2 is scheduled to show at 11:30 am at the Ocean County Library, Long Beach Island Branch, 217 S. Central Avenue, Surf City. A sequel to the original HAPPY FEET, it is a computer animated family musical film with many of the same starsĐElijah Wood, Robin Williams, Hank Azaria, Brad Pitt, Matt DamonĐand the same cast of characters plus many more interesting and engaging new ones.
- HUGO, based on a childrenšs book of the same name and directed by Martin Scorsese, is a magical movie for older children. A young boy left alone after the death of his father finds a secret his father left him. He unlocks a mystery and embarks on a quest that will transform him and those around him and lead him to a safe and loving place he can call home. The movie is the stuff dreams are made of filled with clocks, machines, thrills and suspense. HUGO will be shown at 2 pm also at the Ocean County Library in Surf City.
Saturday, June 2 and Sunday, June 3
- Craft Show Sat., 9:30am to 4pm; Sun., 9:30am to 2pm at St. Francis Center, 47th St. and Long Beach Blvd., Brant Beach.
Sunday, June 3
- Kayak Tour of High Bar Harbor 10am to 1pm The LBI Foundation of Arts & Sciences offers an introduction to coastal sea kayak touring with Bill and Carmen Stage got those at least 18 years old. A sea touring kayak, paddle and personal flotation device are provided; tandem kayaks are available. Fees: Member, $70; Nonmember, $85
Monday, June 4
- Full Moon Climb 7pm to 9:30pm at Lighthouse Park, Barnegat Light.
Tuesday, June 5
- Mah Jongg Tournament11am to 4pm at the St. Francis of Assisi Brant Beach Church Hall, 4700 Long Beach Blvd., Long Beach Township, NJ. Mah Jongg is a tile game of Chinese origin, possibly dating to over two thousand years ago, in the court of the King of Wu. The game was imported to the United States in1920šs and today continues to be popular with women of all ages. The cost to play in the tournament is $30 which includes lunch. Prizes will be awarded to the 1st, and 3rd place finishers and there will be a raffle and door prizes as well. All participants must register in advance by\calling the Jewish Community Center at 609-492-4090 or St. Francis Community Center at 609-494-8861 Registration is required prior to May 31 and payment is needed in advance to guarantee attendance. Each round of 4 games is timed and players will have 65 minutes to complete 4 games. Please call the Jewish Community Center of Long Beach Island (609-492 -4090) or St. Francis Community Center (609-494-8861). www.strfranciscenterlbi.org.ww
Saturday, June 9
- LBIfest 2012!! 11am to 6pm Long Beach Township Municipal Complex & Bayview Park, 68th St. & Long Beach Blvd., Brant Beach. Bring on the Summer and join us for a day of fun featuring local restaurant fare, artwork, clothing & dÂecor, surf apparel and accessories, activities for all ages, music, entertainment and MORE!! Sponsored by LBI businesses, restaurants & artists, to help support the Southern Ocean Medical Center, and celebrate our beautiful Island and those who make LBI the REAL Jersey Shore! Admission is free. For more information, visit www.LBIfest.com.
Saturday, June 9 and Sunday, June 10
- 4th Annual Jersey Shore Fine Art Festival – Saturday, 10am to 6pm and Sunday 11am TO 5pm at Ethel A. Jacobsen Field, Barnegat Ave. & W. 5th St., Ship Bottom, NJ 08008. The Southern Ocean County Chamber of Commerce hosts this nationally-ranked fine art festival which showcases some of the nationsš most creative and award-winning artists from over 20 states and overseas. Admission and parking are free. For more Festival information contact the Southern Ocean Chamber of Commerce at www.visitlbiregion.com/ or by phone at (609) 494-7211. For additional information, photos or to arrange interviews with the Festival Director or artists contact Bill Kinney, Festival Director at: (631) 421-1590 or by e-mail at: email@example.com. Website: www.paragonartevents.com/
- 1950šs Sock Hop 7pm to 10pm at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 5800 Long Beach Blvd., Brant Beach. Tickets $20 (incl. food) are limited. Call Tony at 609 312 3003..
Sunday, June 17th through Saturday, June 23, 2012
- Silent Summer Preached Retreat: ĒWalking with Jesus and Markē at Maris Stella Retreat Center, Harvey Cedars, LBI, NJ. Presented by Jim Scullion, OFM. The Gospel of Mark asks us to walk with Jesus on his way of healing, forgiveness, shame, suffering and death. Jesus guides us to see that in his cross the wisdom and power of God are revealed. Silent retreats are conducted in an atmosphere of silence to foster one’s own prayer and out of reverence for one another. In keeping with this atmosphere, all meals are taken in silence. Presenter: Jim Scullion, OFM has a Ph.D. in Biblical Studies from the Catholic University, Washington, DC. He taught New Testament for 20 years at the Washington Theological Union. Fr. Jim currently serves at Saint Francis of Assisi Parish, Brant Beach, LBI. Costs: Religious of other Congregations: $425.00 – Laity: $500.00. Commuter rate available. Registration due: June 5th, 2012. For more information, call: 609-494-2917 or 609-494-1182.
Saturday, June 23
- Jazzy Scallop Seafood Festival 3pm to 6pm at Viking Village, 19th & Bayview, Barnegat Light. Jazz, Scallops, Seafood, Wine, Beer Fundraiser for Marine Science and Music Scholarship. Tickets available at door or Viking Village Shops. Info at www.vikingvillage.net.
ONGOING PROGRAMS & EVENTS
- Faculty Exhibition at LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences, May 17 through August 2, 120 Long Beach Blvd., Loveladies (609-494-1241 or www.lbifoundation.org). Creations by LBIF Faculty Members are on display and available for sale.
- Craft Gallery at LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences, May 18 through July 20, 120 Long Beach Blvd., Loveladies (609-494-1241 or www.lbifoundation.org). Contemporary, handmade crafts are offered for sale.
- In Stiches Exhibition at LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences, May 10 through June 18 at 120 Long Beach Blvd., Loveladies (609-494-1241 or www.lbifoundation.org). Reception: Sunday, May 27, 5:00 – 7:00 pm. In Stitches displays a contemporary, fresh approach to fiber art, a rapidly expanding media without the usual boundaries of traditional fine art. The exhibition features work by internationally exhibited artists who combine recycled materials, mixed media, and installation with the traditional techniques of fiber art, quilting, weaving, embroidery, soft sculpture, and bookmaking to create a stunning display that will expand your perception of this growing medium. Join us for this exciting new show!
- ĒAll I Ask Of Youē – A Tribute to Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber May 26 through June 16 at Surflight Theatre, 201 Engleside Avenue, Beach Haven. This grand showcase of Sir Andrew Lloyd Webberšs music features his biggest and most memorable hits from such musicals as The Phantom of the Opera, Whistle Down the Wind, Starlight Express, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Cats, Jesus Christ Superstar, Sunset Boulevard, Evita, and more! Backed by an onstage orchestra, a cast of Broadway veterans recreates all the thrills from your favorite Andrew Lloyd Webber spectaculars. Tickets ($36-$89) are available online at www.surflight.org. Tickets may also be purchased in person at the Surflight box office, by phone at 609-492-9477, ext. 1. For groups (15 or more) call: 609-492-9477 x210. Show dates/times: 2:00 pm: May 27, 29, 30, 31, June 3, 5, 6, 7, 10, 12, 13, 14, and 15; and, 8:00 pm: May 26, 29, 31, June 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 9, 12, 14, 15, and 16.
- Senior Exercise at St. Francis Center, 47th St. & Long Beach Blvd. Brant Beach. (609-494-8861 ext. 109) Ladies exercise, Tues. & Fri., 8:40am to 9:30am; Walking Program, Mon., Wed. & Fri. 8am to 8:45am
- Seeking Artists: The Jewish Community Center of LBI seeks artists to sign up for its Aug. 19 show at the new Center in Spray Beach. Call Nita Shapiro at 609-494-4525
- The Friends of Barnegat Lighthouse State Park in cooperation with Pine Shores Art Association seeks artists for its July 28 show at the Lighthouse. Call 609-489-9017.
- Vendors Wanted: Flea Market at Veterans Bicentennial Park, Beach Ave. between Engleside Ave. & Amber St., Beach Haven. The Beach Haven Community Arts Program sponsors the event on June 16 from 9am to 4pm. Call Bev Mignella at 609-492-2253
- Pottery classes Tuesdays at 1:00pm and 6:30pm at m.t. burton gallery in Surf City. Call Matt Burton at 609-494-0006 for fee schedule.
- Barnegat Lighthouse: The #2 tourism destination in the State Of New Jersey is open on weekends!
- Classes & Activities Offered: LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences. Classes vary from learning new languages to art mediums and sports lessons. Call 609-494-1241 for more information and registration.
- Brain Games 1st & 3rd Monday of each month. 1:00pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City. Games designed to stimulate different areas of the brain. Call to register 609-494-2480 or visit www.theoceancountylibrary.org.
- Bike Registration Program: to reduce bicycle theft and expedite return of stolen bikes, LBI police departments have started a free program for visitors and residents to register bikes. Call for Information: Beach Haven 492-0505; Harvey Cedars 494-3036; Long Beach Township & Barnegat Light 494-3322; Ship Bottom 494-1518 and at Walters Bicycles during business hours; Surf City 494-8121 Blvd., Loveladies.
- Book Discussions: Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City (609-494-2480). 2nd Wed. of each month at 7:30pm. Check at the circulation desk for current title.
- Fiction Writers Group: Forming in Beach Haven: Meets 2 Thursdays per month from 5:30pm-7:30pm. Call Debi for more information 856-912-1369.
- LBI Woodcarvers Association: Meets 2nd Wednesday of every month at 7:30pm. Call 609-296-5606 for location.
HEALTH & LIVING WELL
- LBI Health Department
- Flu Shots: Offered by Appointment, please call 609-492-1212.
- Shingles Vaccine: Please call 609-492-1212 to speak with a public health nurse to make an appointment or for more information.
- Child & Adolescent Health Programs: Physical exams and immunizations are available for infants and children through age 18 at the LBI Health Department. Call 609-492-1212.
- Adult Health Promotion: LBI Health Department provides blood pressure screening plus health education on diet, medication and risk factors for diabetes, cardiovascular disease and breast, cervical & colon/rectal cancer.
- Beach Haven Borough Hall (492-0111) 10am-11am on the 1st Monday of each month
- Island Branch Ocean County Library, Surf City (494-3064) 11am-12pm on the 1st Tuesday of each month
- Harvey Cedars Police Dept. (494-2843) 9:30am-10:30am on the 3rd Tuesday of each month
- Barnegat Light Borough Hall (494-9196) 11am-12pm on the 3rd Tuesday of each month
- LBI Health Dept. (361-1000 or 492-1212) 10am-11am on the 2nd & 4th Wednesday of each month
- St. Francis Senior Services: Outreach workers are available to assist with a variety of senior needs. Call 609-494-8861 for more information.
- Grace Calvary Church in Ship Bottom – 609-494-7777
- Holy Innocents’ Episcopal Church in Beach Haven – 609-492-7571 or 609-492-2108
- Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Brant Beach – 609-494-6888
- Island Baptist Church in Beach Haven – 609-492-7584
- Jewish Community Center of Long Beach Island – 609-492-4090, 2411 Long Beach Blvd. Spray Beach, NJ 08008.
- Friday Shabbat Services: 7:30 PM
- Friday, May 11 Interfaith Service 7:30 PM at the JCC of LBI, 2411 Long Beach Boulevard, Spray Beach, NJ. The guest speaker will be the Rev. Diane Gilbert, Pastor to the First United Methodist in Beach Haven Terrace and Kynett United Methodist Church in Beach Haven. The theme for this yearsš service is ĒFreedom Ainšt Free!ē The Island Singers, under the leadership of Polly Moore, will be part of the service. which is open to the entire community. Sisterhood will provide refreshments after the service.
- Kynett United Methodist Church of Beach Haven – 609-492-0421
- St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church in Brant Beach – 609-494-8813 www.stfrancisparishlbi.org
- St. Peter’s at the Light Episcopal Church in Barnegat Light – 609-494-2398
- June 3rd Sunday -two services start 8am & 10am
- Terrace United Methodist Church in Beach Haven Terrace – 609-492-9843
- Zion Lutheran Church in Barnegat Light – 609-494-8676
WEEKLY ENTERTAINMENT & PERFORMANCES
- Bayberry Inn: (609-494-8848)
- Buckalew’s Tavern & Restaurant: (609-492-1065)
- Daddy O: (609-494-1300)
- The Gateway: (609-494-1661)
- Nardi’s Tavern: (609-492-9538)
FOR YOUR INTEREST
- Free Tickets for College Students!! The 4th Annual Lighthouse International Film Festival, taking place on Long Beach Island from Friday evening, June 1, through Sunday evening, June 3, announces free individual tickets to all films for college students. This is the second year that the Festival is making this unprecedented offer. Any student with a valid college id may go to information @lighthousefilmfestival.org to get a Student Access Pass. Anyone with questions about this may contact the Festival at 609-207-1126.
- Seedling Sale: Offered by the Garden Club of LBI: A variety of seedlings, grass, and fertilizer tabs. Call 609-494-5791 or visit www.thegardencluboflbi.com for more details.
- Food Donations Needed: The St. Francis Food Pantry is accepting donations of non-perishable foods as well as detergents, soaps, and shampoo.
- Beach Haven Community Arts Program’s Commemorative Bricks: Bricks are placed in the paths at Veterans’ Bicentennial Park in Beach Haven. Donations are $50 and order forms are available at the Beach Haven Library, borough hall, Uncle Will’s Pancake House, or call 609-492-8362.