LBI Business Alliance
PO Box 2298, Long Beach Township, NJ 08008
LBI Residents, Businesses and Homeowners:
- Debris Removal Please place your items at the curb line and off of the street. Separate all Hazardous materials, electronics, tires, engines, metals, and any recyclables. Front end loaders will be pushing the bulk materials into intersections to be picked up, so please keep regular household garbage in trash cans and separate from the bulk trash. Please keep all vehicles off the road during this process!! Please do not delay on placing items to the curb line. There will be a cutoff date in the near future for picking up debris. Harvey Cedars will not be picking up debris past December 15th. Please make sure when your household appliances are put to the curb the doors must be removed from your refrigerators and freezers. Holgate residents please secure your homes when you leave for the day.
- Return heaters received through donation Since much of LBI has been restored with gas service, Long Beach Twp. is requesting any heaters received through donations, be returned to the Long Beach Township Police lobby. If you are not able to get to Long Beach Township for any reason, please take the heaters to your local police department. Heaters we will be forwarded to Seaside Park for redistribution. Thank you in advance for your support.
- Disaster Recovery Center open for LBI in Harvey Cedars FEMA Disaster Recovery Center #33 will open at Harvey Cedars Bible Conference Center, 12 Cedars Avenue, Harvey Cedars Long Beach Island, NJ. Hours will be 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Sunday until further notice. They will open this Saturday 11/24/12. Property owners can make claims as well as check on the status of existing claims. Small Business Claims can be made as well Small Business Loans can be applied for at this location.
- Distribution Centers Supplies (clothing, toiletries, cleaning items, toys, non-perishable food, etc.) are available for distribution to Island residents at the following locations:
- Grace Calvary Church, 1902 South Long Beach Blvd., Ship Bottom;
- Long Beach Island Grade School, 20th and Central Ave., Ship Bottom;
- Holy Innocents Episcopal Church, Marine St., between Atlantic & Beach Aves., Beach Haven;
- Surf City Volunteer Fire Co. No. 1, 713 Long Beach Blvd., Surf City.
- Donations to the LBI relief fund are still being accepted at the LBI grade school, 20th and Central Ave in Ship Bottom. Items needed include: Pillows, rakes and flat shovels, extension cords, coffee, utility knives, batteries (all sizes), space heaters, bread, juice, paper plates and cups, utensils, cleaning and work gloves, paper towels, non-bleach cleaners. Garbage bags, breakfast food, bleach, water, flashlights, and mold/mildew cleaners are also in high demand. Thank you for your support!
- For the most current updates & information: Long Beach Island Joint Emergency Operations Center website http://www.lbieoc.org/
- For disaster assistance and information: FEMA website http://www.fema.gov/disaster/4086.
OPEN FOR BUSINESS The following LBI businesses are now open. If your business is not listed, please email the information to email@example.com for next weeks’ email update.
|SURF CITY & NORTH||SHIP BOTTOM & SOUTH|
|Surf City Pharmacy||Greenhouse Café, Ship Bottom|
|Surf City Hotel||Fisherman’s Headquarters, Ship Bottom|
|Surf City Pizza||The Gateway, Ship Bottom|
|Surf City Laundromat||Speakeasy, Ship Bottom (pizza only, for now)|
|Panzone’s Pizza, Surf City||CVS, Ship Bottom|
|Surfside Coffee House, Surf City||7-11, Ship Bottom|
|Callahan’s Liquor Store, Surf City||Oral’s Place, Ship Bottom (Dry cleaning, tailoring, tuxedo rentals)|
|Just Bead It, Surf City||Haymarket, Ship Bottom (Daily 10 – 5:30, Sunday 10-5. Closed Mon. & Tues.)|
|How You Brewin?, Surf City||Surf Unlimited, Ship Bottom (Daily 10am-5pm, Closed Mon & Tues, every day after 12/6)|
|Tuckerton Lumber, Surf City||Captain John’s Mr. Breakfast, Ship Bottom|
|Ciao Bella, Surf City||Tula The Boutique, Beach Haven|
|Tiffany’s Salon & Spa, Surf City||Kapler’s Pharmacy, Beach Haven (filling prescriptions from Regenerate)|
|Firefly & Island Teak, Surf City (handmade ‘Sandy’ beads w/50% of sales to sandynjrelieffund.org)||The Engleside Inn (serving from a limited menu)|
|Ocean County Library, LBI Branch, Surf City||California Grill, Beach Haven Gardens (open for breakfast and lunch)|
|The Bookworm, Surf City||TD Bank, Ship Bottom (open for safe deposit box access; full banking anticipated to resume by 11/28)|
|Wink, Surf City||Island Sun, Beach Haven (call for hours 494-1165. Open through New Year’s)|
|The Little Outfit Children’s Boutique, Surf City||Elite Fitness, Beach Haven Terrace (7 days a week, 8AM – Noon)|
|North End Trilogy, Barnegat Light||Jeffrey’s Floor & Décor, Beach Haven Terrace|
|Americanna by the Seashore, Barnegat Light||Oskar Huber Furniture, Ship Bottom|
|The Seawife, Barnegat Light||Ryan’s Windows, Ship Bottom|
|Wildflowers, Barnegat Light||Beach Haven Auto Parts, Ship Bottom|
|Kubel’s, Barnegat Light||Wave Hog, Ship Bottom|
|Mustache Bill’s Diner, Barnegat Light||Luke Oil, Ship Bottom (for repairs only)|
|B&B, Ship Bottom|
|Sink’r Swim Shops, Haven Beach|
|Buccaneer Motel, Spray Beach (Open for residents)|
v Holiday Tour of Homes The LBI Garden Club has cancelled the December 13th tour, because of the devastation caused by Hurricane Sandy. The club would like to donate the money already received for tickets to the house tour, to help impacted communities. Anyone who wants a refund may send tickets back, with a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Garden Club of LBI, PO Box 344, Ship Bottom, NJ 08008.
v Ship Bottom Christmas Parade The Parade, scheduled for December 1st, has been cancelled.
v “White Christmas” – Irving Berlin Surflight Theatre, 201 Engleside Avenue, Beach Haven. (609-492-9477 or www.surflight.org) The show, scheduled to run November 23 through December 21, has been cancelled.
EVENTS COMING UP…
Tuesday, November 27
- Storytime and Craft: 3:45pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). Activity for children of all ages. Registration required. Call 609-494-2480 or visit www.theoceancountylibrary.org.
- Watercolor Drop-in for Seniors 9:30am at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480).
Wednesday, November 28
- Teen Advisory Board Meets: 6pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City (609-494-2480). A fun was to participate in the library while earning community service hours. Plan programs and events while making new friends. New members welcome – Kids in grades 7-12 are invited to come make suggestions for programs, events and more!
- ‘Tween Craft: Balloon Bracelets 7pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City. This activity is for ages 9-16. Call to register 609-494-2480 or visit www.theoceancountylibrary.org.
Saturday, December 1
- WBNJ Presents the Shout for Relief Concert! 7:00 p.m. (doors open at 6pm) at the Barnegat High School Auditorium, 180 Bengal Blvd, Barnegat. A Special Benefit Concert for Housing Displaced Victims of Hurricane Sandy, featuring The Jersey Shore Roustabouts, as well as, I ME MINE (tribute to George Harrison), the Angeltones, and Whiptones. For more information call: (609) 660-2028. Tickets: $11.50 (100% of proceeds go towards housing and rebuilding).
Wednesday, December 5
- LBI Chapter Deborah Hospital Foundation Meeting & Potluck Dinner 6:30pm at Ethel Jacobsen School, South 2nd St. & Barnegat Ave., Surf City (609-49
- LBI Region Art Community Presentation & Planning 6:30pm at The Art House, 182 North Main Street, Manahawkin (856-861-6159). Art groups, artists, crafters and those interested in the local art scene are invited to help plan next June’s LBI Art Fest & other events. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday, December 8
- LBI Fire Co. & EMS Benefit 3pm to 8pm at the Surf City Firehouse, 713 Long Beach Blvd., Surf City. Entertainment by: Dave Sodano (Sinatra tribute), David Christopher Orchestra, Love Puppies & Mike Byrne; catered by: Prezioso’s. Tickets: $20 at door; additional donations accepted (payable to Beach Haven First Air Squad). 100% of the proceeds will be divided among all LBI volunteer groups. For more information, contact Dave Sodano at 973-652-8679.
Wednesday, December 12
- Southern Ocean County Chamber of Commerce Holiday Party 5:30 to 9pm at Pinziminio Trattoria, 8701 Long Beach Blvd., Brighton Beach, Phone: (609) 494-7211. The perfect time to bump into old friends and make new contacts in our business community. Entertainment provided by Chris Fritz. BYOB. Door Prizes and a Secret Santa Exchange (for those who wish to participate, gift value $20 to $25). Tickets: $30, includes buffet dinner. Please RSVP, with payment, by calling 609 494-7211 with your credit card number or stop at the chamber with your check. (limited seating, reservation with payment required).
- The Gateway, Ship Bottom 8pm Friday & Saturday, Weird Owl karaoke
- Facedown at Kubel’s, Barnegat Light 9pm Saturday, December 1st, to benefit the Fishermans Memorial.
- Barnegat Lighthouse: The #2 tourism destination in the State Of New Jersey is open on weekends!
- Classes & Activities Offered LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences. Classes vary from learning new languages to art mediums and sports lessons. Call 609-494-1241 for more information and registration.
- Bike Registration Program to reduce bicycle theft and expedite return of stolen bikes, LBI police departments have started a free program for visitors and residents to register bikes. Call for Information: Beach Haven 492-0505; Harvey Cedars 494-3036; Long Beach Township & Barnegat Light 494-3322; Ship Bottom 494-1518 and at Walters Bicycles during business hours; Surf City 494-8121 Blvd., Loveladies.
- Seedling Sale Offered by the Garden Club of LBI: A variety of seedlings, grass, and fertilizer tabs. Call 609-494-5791 or visit www.thegardencluboflbi.com for more details.
- Food Donations Needed The St. Francis Food Pantry is accepting donations of non-perishable foods as well as detergents, soaps, and shampoo.
- Beach Haven Community Arts Program’s Commemorative Bricks Bricks are placed in the paths at Veterans’ Bicentennial Park in Beach Haven. Donations are $50 and order forms are available at the Beach Haven Library, borough hall, Uncle Will’s Pancake House, or call 609-492-8362.
- Brain Games 1:00pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City. Games designed to stimulate different areas of the brain. Call to register 609-494-2480 or visit www.theoceancountylibrary.org. 1st & 3rd Monday of each month
- Walking Program – Senior Exercise at St. Francis Center, 47th St. & Long Beach Blvd. Brant Beach. (609-494-8861 ext. 109) Tues. & Fri., 8:40am to 9:30am; Mon., Wed. & Fri. 8am to 8:45am
- Buck-A-Bag Book Sale 2:00 to 4:00pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City 609-494-2480. 3rd Tuesday of each month.
- Knitters Group 1pm at the Beach Haven Library, Third St. & Beach Ave, Beach Haven. 609-492-7081 Every Tuesday
- Gentle Yoga 8am-9am at Holy Innocents’ Episcopal Church, Marine Street (between Atlantic & Beach Aves., Beach Haven (609-492-7571)
- Mah Jong/Bridge Canasta 12:30 to 4pm at the Jewish Community Center of LBI, 24th Street & Long Beach Blvd., Spray Beach. 609-492-4090 or www.jccoflbi.org. All are welcome. Every Wednesday.
- “Blue to You” Van 9am-12pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library, 217 S. Central Ave., Surf City 609-494-2480. Horizon Healthcare of NJ provides seminars, information on healthy living strategies and health care reform and more. Members may speak with an advisor about recent claims, billing and other issues. 2nd Wednesday of each month.
- Book Discussions: 7:30pm at Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City 609-494-2480. Check at the circulation desk for current title. 2nd Wed. of every month
- Awana Clubs Meet 6:30-8pm at Grace Calvary Church, 19th St. & Long Beach Blvd., Ship Bottom (609-494-7777 or gracecalvary.net) All children are welcome for songs, skits, Bible lessons and more in this international, nondenominational program. Age groups include: age 3 to K, grades 1 & 2 and grades 3-6. September-June.
- Free Water Color Lessons for Seniors 9:30am to 12:30pm at Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City 609-494-2480. Artist Pat Moran teaches the sessions on the second and fourth Thursday of each month. Bring your own materials and photos to work from. Call 609-494-2480 for more information.
HEALTH & LIVING WELL
- Cancer Support Offered Available informational materials include videos, books and pamphlets. To obtain materials or just to talk, call Ann Martorano at 609-698-4372, Chuck Sahlberg at 609-698-8577 or Nancy Shershen at 609-660-0316
- Fitness Classes Offered St. Francis Center, 47th St. & Long Beach Blvd. Brant Beach. (609-494-8861 or www.stfranciscenterlbi.com) All-In-One fitness classes are offered Tues. & Thurs., 8-8:45am, Oct. 30-Dec. 13. Core & flexibility Conditioning offered Wed., 8-8:45am, Oct. 31-Dec. 12. Personal training sessions are also available.
- LBI Health Department:
- Shingles Vaccine: Please call 609-492-1212 to speak with a public health nurse to make an appointment or for more information.
- Child & Adolescent Health Programs: Physical exams and immunizations are available for infants and children through age 18 at the LBI Health Department. Call 609-492-1212.
- Adult Health Promotion: LBI Health Department provides blood pressure screening plus health education on diet, medication and risk factors for diabetes, cardiovascular disease and breast, cervical & colon/rectal cancer.
- Beach Haven Borough Hall (492-0111) 10am-11am on the 1st Monday of each month
- Island Branch Ocean County Library, Surf City (494-3064) 11am-12pm on the 1st Tuesday of each month
- Harvey Cedars Police Dept. (494-2843) 9:30am-10:30am on the 3rd Tuesday of each month
- Barnegat Light Borough Hall (494-9196) 11am-12pm on the 3rd Tuesday of each month
- LBI Health Dept. (361-1000 or 492-1212) 10am-11am on the 2nd & 4th Wednesday of each month.
- St. Francis Senior Services: Outreach workers are available to assist with a variety of senior needs. Call 609-494-8861 for more information.
WORSHIP (Call to confirm)
- Grace Calvary Church in Ship Bottom – 609-494-7777
- Holy Innocents’ Episcopal Church in Beach Haven – 609-492-7571 or 609-492-2108 www.hiecbh.com
- Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Brant Beach – 609-494-6888
- Island Baptist Church in Beach Haven – 609-492-7584
- Jewish Community Center of Long Beach Island in Spray Beach -609-492-4090 on Friday Shabbat Services: 7:30 PM
- Kynett United Methodist Church of Beach Haven – 609-492-0421
- St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church in Brant Beach – 609-494-8813 http://www.stfrancisparishlbi.org/
- St. Peter’s at the Light Episcopal Church in Barnegat Light – 609-494-2398 Terrace United Methodist Church in Beach Haven Terrace – 609-492-9843
- Zion Lutheran Church in Barnegat Light – 609-494-8676
Be strong LBI!!!
Compliments of LBI Business Alliance