Monday June 6th:
1. Card Party & Luncheon: 12 noon at the Engleside Inn in Beach Haven. Hosted by the LBI Chapter of Deborah Hospital Foundation. Admission is $20, for menu selections and reservations call 609-597-3746.
Tuesday June 7th:
1. Music and Movement: 10:30am at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. For ages 2-6. Call 609-494-2480 for more information.
Wednesday June 8th:
1. Decorate Your Own Birdhouse: 7pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. For ages 8 and older. Call 609-494-2480 for more information.
2. Garden Party by the Sea: at the Bonnet Island Estate. Friends of St. Francis of Assisi Parish and Center host the event, featuring fashions from Between the Sheets, Island Bridal, Sink R’ Swim, the Island Shop, Tula, and Uniformity. Tickets are $30 and available at the center’s front desk in Brant Beach.
3. How to Beat the Heat: 10am at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. A New Jersey Natural Gas representative shares tips and information. Call 609-494-2480 for more information.
Thursday June 9th:
1. 6th Annual Spring Meet & Greet: 5-11pm at Joe Pop’s Shore Bar & Tiki Joe’s presented by the ship Bottom Merchants and Professionals Association in conjuction with Ship Bottom Beach Patrol, ReClam the Bay, and Alliance for a Living Ocean. Featuring live music, door prizes, food & drink discounts, cash bar, and more. $10 donation at the door.
2. Bead Happy Hour: 5-8pm at Just Bead It in North Beach Haven. Come and learn new beading techniques and make cool spring jewelry! Call 609-492-2323 for more information.
Saturday June 11th:
1. LBIFest at the Long Beach Township Municipal Complex and Bayview Park. Visit http://www.lbifest.com/ to see what last year’s event was all about. Join the 6,500 people who enjoyed last year’s festivities and enjoy great food, music, drinks, bounce houses and kids activities, art, FREE buses and shopping with all of your local favorites!! Help LBI BRING ON THE SUMMER 2011!!!
2. Workshop for Gardeners: Tropical & Their Uses in Containers and Gardens. 10am at the Bay Ave. Plant Co., 1808 Long Beach Blvd. in Surf City. Daryl Kobesky of Pleasant Run Nursery in Allentown presents the program. Admission is free.
Not sure what businesses are open on LBI? Visit http://www.njlbi.com/ for a listing of over 100 Long Beach Island Businesses along with their hours of business and contact information!
Worship on Long Beach Island
– Grace Calvary Church in Ship Bottom – 609-494-7777
– Holy Innocents’ Episcopal Church in Beach Haven – 609-492-7571 or 609-492-2108
– Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Brant Beach – 609-494-6888
– Island Baptist Church in Beach Haven – 609-492-7584
– Jewish Community Center of Long Beach Island – 609-492-4090
Please Note: JCC Shabbat Services are Friday evening at 8:00 PM and Saturday morning at 9:30 AM at St.Thomas of Villanova Church in Surf City while the New Synagogue is being built. Shabbat on the beach on Friday, June 24th at 5:30 PM at the beach on 24th Street, Spray Beach.
– Kynett United Methodist Church of Beach Haven – 609-492-0421
– St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church in Brant Beach – 609-494-8813
– St. Peter’s at the Light Episcopal Church in Barnegat Light – 609-494-2398
– Terrace United Methodist Church in Beach Haven Terrace – 609-492-9843
– Zion Lutheran Church in Barnegat Light – 609-494-8676
Weekly Entertainment and Performances Found At:
– Bayberry Inn: (609-494-8848)
– Buckalew’s Tavern & Restaurant: (609-492-1065)
– Daddy O: (609-494-1300)
– The Gateway: (609-494-1661)
– Nardi’s Tavern: (609-492-9538)
Barnegat Lighthouse is Open: The # 2 tourism destination in the State Of New Jersey is open on weekends and has reported a “full parking lot” and a great number of visitors in the past few weekends.
Prom Dress and Accessory Collection: Donate clean prom dresses and accessories in good wearable condition to Red Sails Salon in Surf City or Regenerate in Beach Haven. Shoes, handbags, and cocktail/special occasion dresses are all gratefully accepted for Southern Regional High School.
Thursdays May 5 – August 25: Stitch & Bitch LBI: 1-8pm at the Museum of NJ Maritime History on Dock Road in Beach Haven. Anyone interested in knitting or crocheting may bring supplies and join in, help is available for all wishing to learn. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Through June 20: “Pinelands Revisited” Exhibit at the LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences in Loveladies. Artwork is by members of the Princeton Artists Alliance. Call 609-494-1241 for more information.
Mah Jong: Wednesdays from 12:30-4pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library In Surf City. Some previous experience is required. Call 609-494-2480 for more information.
Food Donations Needed: The St. Francis Food Pantry in Brant Beach is acception donations of non-perishable foods as well as detergents, soaps, and shampoo.
Womens’ Council of Realtors: Meets the 2nd Tuesday of every month at the Bayberry Inn, 13th Street & Long Beach Blvd., Ship Bottom. Call Theresa Hill at 609-597-6464 for more information.
Tuesdays June 7-28: Adult Writers Group Meets: 1-3pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. All are welcome, call 609-494-2480 for more information.
Pottery Class: With ceramics artist Matt Burton every Tuesday from 6-9 pm or Thursdays from 1-4 pm at the M.T. Burton Gallery, 19th Street & Long Beach Blvd. in Surf City. For more information call 609-494-0006.
Seedling Sale: Variety of seedlings offered by the Garden Club of LBI. Visit http://www.thegardencluboflbi.com/ for more information.
Fiction Writers Group: Forming in Beach Haven: Meets 2 Thursdays per month from 5:30pm-7:30pm. Call Debi for more information 856-912-1369.
Knitting Group Meeting: 10am Wednesdays at How You Brewin on 8th Street in Surf City. Call 609-494-2003 or visit http://www.howyoubrewin.com/ for more information.
June 13: Friends of the Library Meet: 10am at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. All are welcome, call 609-494-2480 for more information.
June 13: The Morro Castle: 6:30pm at the Beach Haven Library on Third Street in Beach Haven. Deborah Whitcraft and Gretchen Coyle present the program.
June 15: Book Discussion: 7:30pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. The title is The Last Days of Dogtown by Anita Diamant. Call 609-494-2480 for more information.
June 15: Reading Isn’t Ruff: 6pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. A therapy dog is waiting for beginner readers to come and read to it.
June 17: Doodles for Daddy: 3:30pm at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. Call 609-494-2480 for more information.
June 17 & 18: Precious Metal Clay, Mixed Media & Raku Work: 10am-4pm at the LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences in Loveladies. Fee for classes vary, call 609-494-1241 for more information.
June 18: Beach Haven Community Arts Program Flea Market: 9am-4pm rain or shine in Veterans Bicentennial Park. Call Beverly at 609-492-2253.
June 18: Flea Market & Estate Sale with Vendors: 8am-2:30pm rain or shine at the Terrace 1st United Methodist Church on the Beach Haven Terrace. The sale is both inside and outside with both food, furniture, housewares, and more being offered. Call 609-492-9843 for more information.
June 19: Conserving Rare Species and Habitat in the New Jersey Pine Barrens: 11am at the LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences in Loveladies. Emile DiVito, PhD, of the New Jersey Conservation Foundation will be presenting.
June 25: Jazzy Scallop Seafood Fest: 3-6pm at Viking Village, 19th & Bayview.
Health and Living Well on LBI:
– American Red Cross Bloodmobile: 2-8pm at the Brant Beach Yacht Club in Brant Beach. Call 800-GIVELIFE or visit www.pleasegiveblood.org.
– St. Francis Senior Services: Outreach workers are available to assist with a variety of senior needs. Call 609-294-1197 for more information.
– Senior Exercise Class & Line Dancing: At the St. Francis center in Brant Beach. Ladies exercise: Monday-Wednesday & Friday 9-10am, Lien Dancing: Thursday 9-10am.
– Free Blood Pressure Screening: 11am June 7th at the Island Branch of the Ocean County Library in Surf City. No appointment needed, call 609-494-2480 for more information.
– Child & Adolescent Health Programs: Physical exams and immunizations are available for infants and children through age 18 at the LBI Health Department. Call 609-492-1212 for more information.
– Well Baby Clinic: at the LBI Health Department in Haven Beach. Call 609-361-1000 ex 250 or 609-492-1212 for appointment and information.
– Walking/Running Program: Monday-Friday 8-9am in the St. Francis Center gymnasium, Brant Beach. Call 609-494-8861 for more information.
– Flu Shots Offered: by appointment a the LBI Health Department, 11601 Long Beach Blvd. in Haven Beach. Call 609-492-1212 for more information and pricing.
– GED, Adult Basic Skills and 2nd Language Classes: Free classes provided by the St. Francis Family Services at the St. Francis Community Center. Call 609-597-9399 for more information.
– Parents and Children Together Homework Program: Mondays 6-8pm at the St. Francis Community Center in Brant Beach. Classes are designed to teach parents the skills they need to help children with homework. For grades 1-12. Call 609-597-9399 for more information.
For Your Interest:
– Vendors Wanted: for June 18th flea market in Veterans Bicentennial Park in Beach Haven. Call Beverly at 609-492-2253 for more information.
– Crafters Wanted: for June 18th craft show at St. Francis Center (609-494-8861) and July 23rd craft show at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church (609-312-3003).
– LBI Woodcarvers Association: meets 2nd Wednesday of every month at 7:30pm. Call 609-296-5606 for location.
– LBI Swing Dance Club: Singles or couples, beginner or expert, country, latin, etc are welcome to meet at whichever establishment has the most suitable entertainment for the week. Call 609-494-9742 on weekends or email email@example.com on weekdays.
– St. Francis Community Pool Donations Sought: Send to St. Francis Swimming Pool Fund, 4700 Long Beach Blvd. Brant Beach, NJ 08008.
– Beach Haven Community Arts Program’s Commemorative Bricks: Bricks are placed in the paths at Veterans’ Bicentennial Park in Beach Haven. Donations are $50 and order forms are available at the Beach Haven Library, borough hall, Uncle Will’s Pancake House, or call 609-492-8362.
– Ongoing classes at the LBI Foundation of the Arts & Sciences. Visit http://www.lbifoundation.org/ for schedule and more information.
– New Members Wanted: The St. Francis Guild invites all interested in knitting, crochet, quilting, and/or other crafts to participate. Meets Wednesdays from 10am-2pm at the St. Francis Center in Brant Beach. Call Lenore Kane at 609-494-7330 for more information.
– Edith Duff Gwinn Gardens Fund-Raiser: The Garden Club of LBI offers memorial bricks to be placed in the gardens. Call 609-494-5791 for more information.
– St. Francis Youth Ministry: Offers junior and senior high school age students fellowship and involvement in their community. Call 609-494-8813, ext. 70 for more information.